When building responsive HTML emails from scratch we take a step-by-step approach as seen below:
– Email template design. Designing the layout and images in Adobe Photoshop.
– Responsive email template development (optimized for small screen devices).
– Testing responsive design across devices and email software services (Outlook, Yahoo!, Gmail).
– Ensure cross-browser compatibility across major web browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari).
– Creating custom templates with MailChimp’s email template language that makes it very easy for clients to customize certain design elements and also to monitor their email campaign performance metrics like open rate and click rate.
– We used SendGrid, Mandrill and Mailjet for transactional emails and MailChimp for newsletter campaigns.